Saturday, May 26, 2012

What I Want







This skirt was definitely one that I was grateful to have on this 7 project.  Overall, it makes me feel like a folklorico dancer/princess but I look totally normal (ish).  I had the first mishap with it though when I was running errands yesterday I slammed the door and my skirt got caught in it, so when I walked away, I only made it inches away before whiplash occured.  Other than that, wearing this skirt the last two days has been magical.

A youth commented the other day that when he first met me, I was dressed super hipster and now I always dressed like a grandma.  After laughing at his honest, sincere commentary on my wardrobe, I came back at him with philosophy on attire which was inspired, of course, by my fashion inspiration and cousin Vanessa.  She said, you can wear whatever you want and no one can tell you otherwise.  Truth is, we tend to typecast ourselves even in our wardrobe.  Some blame it on comfort or certain elements that fit them the best, but I honestly I enjoy mixing it up sometimes.  Even when I feel like I don't look like "me" or like it's something I wouldn't normally wear but I feel comfortable in it, I just say, "I can wear whatever I want."  Now, that's within reason, of course.  Obviously I adhere to certain standards at work, church, etc., but in my day to day life, I feel pretty free to dress however I feel like.

All that to say, it's been interesting doing this project because I've feel pretty comfortable in all the pieces I've worn.  Because there are days when I feel completely uncomfortable, but that wasn't the case this week at all.  Perhaps simplifying is the key? 

{Skirt: Thrifted ($1.99), Chambray Shirt: Thrifted ($2.59), Flats: H&M ($12.99)}



No comments: