Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mixin it Up








So I'm finally done with finals!! As a celebratory event, I went to the Bath House Cultural Center at White Rock Lake and took way too many pictures. It was so perfect outside today.



Oh! Look what I found!


Seriously, I was WAY too excited about this painted butterfly stump






Here was the view.


This was a fun pattern mix. It came together without much effort so I knew it was meant to be. Honestly, I've seen quite a few mixed patterns that look so cool and then I've seen ones that just fall flat. So I'm glad this one felt good for me. Also, I'm sure you can't tell, but I love navy.

So, I've not been a huge fan of living in Dallas for a bunch of different reasons. One of those reasons is simple: people are rude. They're rude on the highway, in public service, at the bank, at the mall, in restaurants, in my neighborhood. The list could go on, but I think you ger the idea. However, this week has proven me wrong and I stand in a place of humble correction. I've had various interactions this week where people have just, straight up, been pleasant. I've gotten hand waves in my alley to let me drive forward. I've had baggers at the grocery store offer to help me take firewood to my car. I had a sweet lady at the thrift store ask me about my measurements cause she needed help deciding if she wanted to buy some jeans for her daughter that was my size. I can't tell if it's just because I'm just in a happier mood or what, but I'm digging it. I think I'm going to do my best to be aware of people around me. It's just too easy to ignore people (especially when all I have is school on my mind). So my goal in this lovely season is to pay attention and not be so rude. It's tough, I know.

Austin and I went to his middle schools' Fall Orchestra concert tonight. First of all, am I the only one who gets super nostalgic when you're in a public school (for those of you who have been in the public education system, of course)? I start reverting back to my middle school self. It's hilarious. Anyway, I'm always pretty excited when I can go with Austin to his school events because I can meet people that he interacts with on a daily basis and witness the environment he works in. I respect my husband so much for taking on such a role of financial leader for our family. I mean, c'mon, he teaches 7th grade math (a subject hated by many) in DISD. Since he has given me the opportunity to work on my Master's degree while he works, I cannot wait to hold down the fort when the time comes for him to pursue his dreams.

Anyhow, the Dallas Stars game is about to start so I'm going to wrap this up. I can't believe Austin got me into hockey because our buddy Preston got him into hockey. It's become quite the obsession, which is probably why we'll move to Canada someday.

Till tomorrow...

{Currently listening to: Gossip-Heavy Cross on repeat}

{Dress [as top]: Thrifted ($.99), Skirt: Plato's Closet [Gilly Hicks] ($12.00), Belt: Thrifted (.99), Sweater: Thrifted [GAP] ($2.99), Shoes: Target ($14.99),Tights: ?, Sunglasses: Target ($12.99), Necklace: Gift from madre, Earrings: Target ($4.99)}

2 comments:

stephanie / those tricks said...

Funny about the rudeness. I grew up in Dallas, but came back here after 14 years away in different places. The one directly before my return was Portland, OR and BOY did I have the same experience as you with Dallas rudeness at first. It took a while to get used to.

Ani Barrington said...

Yeah, I've pretty much just come to expect it now. OH well. Hopefully when I move somewhere amazing like Portland I'll remember how to be nice. haha.